This is my pre-Christmas post. The holiday season can be a very stressful one, when we are running through the crowds, organizing events and wrapping things up at work before a very much needed break. Despite all the stress that naturally happens this time of the year, I experienced an extremely fulfilling happy moment. On Black Friday, I went out on a mission to buy clothes for 84 orphans.
This Christmas the entire family decided to adopt a couple of orphanage/day care places instead of buying gifts for one another. Everyone gave their contribution and a few members of the family were in charge of purchasing the items. Since I knew I would not be there to support them and really wanted to have my kids engaged in the process, I decided to go shopping for the orphans.
I went out on Black Friday with a list of sizes for all of the children. I was amazed at the level of support I received in the stores. As soon as I explained my mission in the Carter’s store, I was taken to the back of the store and they brought two full racks of summer clothes on clearance for me to sort through. The spirit of giving was there and the employees at the store were glad to help. It was an amazing experience.
Upon arriving at home, my five year old daughter was ready to help sort the clothes. She was in charge of placing post it notes around the house with the ages so we could sort everything. I was glad to see her help and be excited to give to those who are not as fortunate as we are. Instead of saying orphans she calls them ornaments. I don’t think I will ever forget her change in words.
On the 24th of December the family is going to drive to the orphanage to deliver an outfit and a toy to all the kids and I am certain it will be a memorable moment for all of us.
Lesson of the day: Focus on making a difference in someone’s life this holiday season. Find the ability to give up your wants to fulfill someone else’s needs.
Linda mensagem! Foi uma pena que não nos encontramos na nossa terra natal. Vcs já retornaram? me liga qd tiver um tempinho, precisamos colocar o papo em dia. Saudades e FELIZ ANO NOVO!! ME HAPPY!! :)
ReplyDelete