Saturday, November 5, 2011

Caring

This post is related to caring .  When you have kids, you always wonder how to make them caring and genuine good people.  My kids are now 5 and 2 and one may think that it is too early to see those traits but I beg to differ.

As one would expect, the volume in my house is between loud and louder and it becomes quite chaotic in the mornings before school.  This week I prepared breakfast for both kids and asked them to come on over.  My son came running and screaming "I coming!!!!", sat down and said thank you Mommy.  Score 1x0 for a caring moment.  He actually appreciated what I had done.  Thinking the score was pretty good for a morning, my son continued and called his sister (actually screamed) to come join him for breakfast.  He wanted her there sitting down with him.  2X0!!   Yes they do provoke each other and fight, but they just love each other to pieces and most importantly care about one another.  My son, for instance, will not accept a snack for himself until he is sure he has one for his sister.   And he is only 2!!


My daughter also had a great caring moment with her brother this week.  She ran into him and he fell to the ground.  It was dark and a complete accident.  She hugged him and told him it was an accident and ran to the freezer to get him some ice.  Once again, she cared and stood there making sure he was ok.  He also enjoyed the hug.  She is a good sister and takes care of him on a daily basis.  She will read to him, play with him and even wipe his nose if Mommy and Daddy are tied up.  =)

Aside from caring moments between the kids, Mommy also scored a moment this week.  Knowing how I am, my daughter measured her words and told me that she really loves the quesadilla I make for her to take to school, but was wondering if I could not push it down the container so much because it sticks to the bottom.  I thought to myself, very well spoken and caring.  She wanted to make sure I felt good about my quesadilla making skills and then offered the feedback.  


I also witnessed a caring moment between unrelated kids.  We drove to a friend's house and my kids and hers went out trick-or-treating.  She has 2 boys, ages 9 and 5. It was really interesting to see the 9 year old holding my 2 year old's hand and making sure he did not trip on the steps while they were out.  

Speaking of Halloween, I could not leave my husband out who was coerced to go trick-or-treating, despite not enjoying it just because he cares about us.  Like he told my mom, “I went with the 3 kids in the house and they had fun”.  Thanks Honey! 

Lesson of the day:  Caring is innate but also learned and practicing it leads to a better environment for all of us to live in.

2 comments: