Last night I was hit with some sad news and it was extremely difficult to find something positive in what happened. My grandmother passed away unexpectedly and when I answered the phone I was in shock and am somewhat still in denial. When you lose someone close to you, for some reason you go through a flashback and remember all the others you have lost over the years. I am 3 flights away and was not able to go to make it in time.
Happy? Not exactly. I spent most of the night crying myself to sleep but after hours of talking with my husband, who is the most centered man I know I was able to understand a few things and something in my life changed in the last few hours. I was able to see how my mom's extended family of cousins, uncles, aunts and friends stepped up to support her in this difficult moment. This shows compassion is still in everyone's heart and even though sometimes it feels that people have become individualists in their daily grind, my hope is restored. Regaining hope in humanity fills my heart with a sense of comfort and happiness that things will be ok after all.
As for my grandmother, she was probably the strongest woman I knew. She lived a full life, was loved more than words can say by my grandfather, who unfortunately left her in sorrow for all these years. She was a direct woman with great wisdom who took care of my mother and then became fundamental in raising me into the adult I have become. We did not see eye to eye on everything but there is one major thing I really have to hand it to her. She did not compromise. At some point she must have decided that she was going to live her life on her terms. So she slept when she wanted, woke up at the time she felt worked for her. If there was a party, a trip, anything that she did not want to do she just chose not to regardless of what others thought. Although it may have caused a lot of distress to many people, but she did what made her happy. And that is the key to a long lived life. Do what makes you happy, limit your compromises and live life to its fullest. Sounds cliche, but we lose sight of simple concepts like these every day. She even passed away on her own terms, at home, with no suffering. Knowing that she lived life the way she wanted makes me happy. The pain will remain as it still does for my grandfather after all these years but like my husband says, you don't get over it you just accept it.
Lesson of the day - Believe in people's ability to have compassion and help in times of need. Don't compromise by doing things that do not make you happy. You have one life to live. Live it with those you love doing what makes you happy.
Tell Noah I´m happy. Happy because you´re writing again and you´re very special to me! =)
ReplyDeleteAdorei!
Beijão
Beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteYou know that it is been 15 years that you approved Dudu dating me! :-D
I’m happy because besides marrying my Soul Mate I have you as a Friend! And speaking of that, when are you planning a visit? My fridge could use a little help!! ☺
Um bj no coração. Nanda e Dudu